Thursday, November 12, 2009

Kid update



Lila is officially 16 months old. She's so sweet. She always wants to hug and kiss and sing and dance. But she can also be hardcore. In fact, sometimes we call her The Brut. While part of her pastimes involve peace and love, the other half are all about throwing herself onto the furniture with a huge,"HUH!", and almost knocking the wind out of herself. She doesn't seem to realize she's hurting other people, either. She innocently says,"Bling!", as she smacks Elsa on the head - hard - over and over with a plastic magic wand. She also hurts herself a lot. Almost every day I can hear her say tearfully, "Bonk on the head!". Lately she loves to read books with Elsa. In fact, I've been getting 30 minutes here and there to make dinner, clean a room, etc., while they look at books together on the bed. When it happens, it's the 'Leave it to Beaver' moment of parenthood.

Elsa's new thing is reading books from memory. Complete books, even ones we don't read that often. Lila loves to listen to her, but often I hear,"No Lila, I'm not reading to you, I'm reading to Hippo." Lately she's developed this goofy voice that she uses sometimes, and just today I heard a wacky new laugh. She's totally getting into characters and voices and it makes her seem so much older. You can't see a lot in this video, but just listen to the voice.
She's reading," Ahoy to Lila Pirate. Ahoy to Lila's crew. The Jolly Jake is setting sail, there's a lot of work to do."


I've suddenly been cooking/baking up a storm, and Elsa is always more than happy to help.


Lila likes the big girl swing, Elsa prefers the baby swing. Of course.


Saturday morning acrobatics.



We don't always realize how much Lila understands. I can't believe she's been listening when Elsa excuses herself from the table. Elsa usually says,"I'm all done. May I be excused?" And for a couple weeks now, Lila has been saying the same thing! It took me awhile to get it, but I know that's what she's saying. Check it out:

"Nooo. Get down. (Maybe I be excused?) I'm all done. May I be excused?"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cuz--you deserve an honorary PH.D in infantile translations! That was incredible ;) --Kelly

Anonymous said...

That is SO cute!! You have adorable children!
SCB

Anonymous said...

OMG, the video of Lila is so cute! I'll have to teach that one to AJ instead of saying GET DOWN! ALL DONE! Said in a screaching tone.

LOL!

Love ya,
SJ