Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Lila finds comfort, Elsa's hooked on phonics

Last night, for the first time, Lila slept through the night! Yeah!
It seems our 13-week-old has found a way to put herself back to bed. Her thumb! The funny thing is, she always puts her other hand on the back of her fuzzy baby head.
Observe:




Whether she's in a chair or lying down, it's the same position. And she sucks her left thumb, which leads me to wonder if she's going to be a lefty down the line. Stay tuned for that one.

Elsa's into learning letter sounds. The other day she came up to me and said,
"What makes 'sss sss' sound?"
"Uhh, I don't know. What makes that sound?"
"S!"
"Who told you that?"
"Super WHY!"

(Super WHY is a cartoon on PBS.)
Beginners luck I figured, so I quizzed her some more. And heck if she didn't know most of the entire alphabet of sounds. Hey, thanks PBS! The kids are listening.


In most recent 'LIVE!' breaking news, Elsa hates the "Meatball" song. Tonight I was making spaghetti and turkey meatballs, so I started singing,"On top of spaghetti, all covered with cheese, I lost my poor meatball, when somebody sneezed..." thinking she'd get a kick out of it. After cooking and singing a few rounds, I turned to look at her. She was standing in the corner of the kitchen looking at me with a worried look.
"No like meatball song", she said.
"Why not?"
"Elsa no like that song!"
Tim tried singing it when he got home and she had actual tears in her eyes. Something about losing the poor meatball must make her sad. So that's it, I guess. No more meatball song.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very cute, and stop torturing Elsa w/the meatballs!
I too was a thumb sucker and although I'm a righty, sucked the lefty. I needed my right hand to rub the silky on my blanky, I didn't have a fuzzy baby head.

JR said...

Very interesting! So she could still turn out to be a righty! That's good. I don't know about those lefties.

We plan to introduce a blanky, as I suspect her hair will stop being so fuzzy soon.

Anonymous said...

that's an adorable post!

I think she'll be a righty because she'll start doing things with just the right hand because her other hand will be in her mouth!
-m

FEZ BEAR said...

I've been trying to figure out if Henry is LH of RH dominant and so far there is no real indicators. He will switch back and forth while he is drawing / coloring.

Henry rubs Violets fuzzy head when he can't find his lovie. Kinda weird.

JR said...

Does he prefer a side when he uses utensils? Maybe he'll be ambidextrous? How handy would that be? har har.

Aww, everyone loves fuzzy baby hair!

Anonymous said...

being ampedextrous would be one cool superpower.

m